Sr. DevOps engineer at Codecademy working with a world class team providing educational content that leads to career advancement through improved software development skills.
Broad experience in software development organizations; from writing tools to communicating with customers, debugging and fixing code to leading scrum teams, build system innovation to production site reliability engineering, infrastructure automation to strategic planning. A proponent of frequent documentation and knowledge sharing, I have created internal programs to disseminate information throughout an organization (“brown bag” knowledge sharing sessions.) Over 12 years of experience working remotely. Effective over-communicator comfortable with modern collaboration methods. Willing to ask hard questions to avoid operational problems and improve organizational communication. Capable of making minute technical decisions or crafting large architectural plans.
- Serverless tools: AWS Lambda, AWS SAM, Serverless Framework
- Public and private cloud: AWS, Azure, Eucalyptus
- Software development tools: Git, Github, Gitlab, Jira, Confluence
- Infrastructure tools: Terraform, CloudFormation, Vagrant, Packer, Red Hat kickstart, Cobbler
- CI systems: Jenkins, AWS CodeBuild/CodePipeline, TravisCI
- Configuration management tools: Ansible, Chef, cfengine
- Virtualization technologies: KVM, Virtualbox, VMware
- Package build experience: Linux RPM/DEB/Snap, Python packages, Mac DMG, AIX LPP
- Manual and automated QA testing
- Containers: Docker, AWS ECS
- Databases: AWS DynamoDB, MongoDB, AWS RDS, PostgresQL
- Compilers and related tools: gcc/g++, Gnu make, IBM XLC/C++, GN, Ninja, Apple Xcode
- Internet technologies: CDNs, Load Balancers, application performance monitoring tools
- Distributed team collaboration and remote work experience
Sr. DevOps Engineer - 8/2020 - Present
Sr. DevOps Engineer - 3/2018 - 8/2020
Working on DevOps, CI/CD, cloud, browser release engineering, SRE and more for a small organization building an open source privacy focused browser. First DevOps hire, built the CI system from the ground up, automated build process, and wrote tooling to automate distribution. Responsible for browser autoupdate service, which distributes the product to 15 million monthly active users. Daily use of AWS, Terraform, Python, Jenkins, Fastly, CloudFront, etc.
Release Engineer - 3/2015 to 3/2018
Eucalyptus (acquired by DXC Technology)
Key member of a cross functional team providing release engineering and QA in a development organization delivering AWS compatible private cloud software(IaaS). Consistently demonstrated diverse skillset while shipping parallel major and minor releases, maintaining and rearchitecting automated installation tooling, interacting with customers, and managing multiple open source projects, and testing broad sections of the product feature set. Release engineering and infrastructure responsibilities include managing Jenkins build jobs, contributing to RPM signing tools, creating and curating cloud images, writing Chef recipes, maintaining product installation scripts and building/shipping packages at GA time. QA background manually testing the product, verifying AWS compatibility, writing Chef cookbooks, expanding Python test automation suite.
Build Engineer and Quality Assurance - General Parallel File System(GPFS) – 2008 to 2015
International Business Machines (IBM) – Systems & Technology Group
Build engineer for the General Parallel File System(GPFS) high performance computing product. Primary responsibility included producing daily product packages for testing while coordinating with developers, testers, management, and product partners. Additionally provided process automation, code integration, code maintenance, product packaging, defect tracking and trend analysis, product installation tool maintenance, troubleshooting and fixing errors on multiple platforms, functional testing of packaging/build and general product verification. Broad proficiency required in C/C++, Perl, shell programming, version control systems (git, CMVC, CVS,) RPM/DEB/LPP expertise, compilers and software debugging, Linux, AIX, Win administration.
Enterprise Storage Team Lead – 2002 to 2008
International Business Machines (IBM) - Global Services Division
Team leader of 8 member Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) group responsible for maintaining TSM servers, databases and clients, IBM tape libraries and drives, SAN connected devices, and OS. Role consisted of project management for all components of storage environment, interfacing with management on headcount planning, training team members, defining support model, 24x7 team creation, and department mission statement. Developed disaster recovery procedures and plans for customers. Instrumental in successful disaster recovery tests at IBM Business Continuity and Recovery Services sites.
Distributed Filesystems System Programmer – 1998 to 2002
Computer Task Group and International Business Machines (IBM) - Global Services Division
System programmer for AFS and related distributed filesystems for multiple IBM sites. Lead programmer for software design and deployment in an AIX server environment supporting the distributed filesystems team. Knowledge of Unix system internals, AFS/DFS system level architecture and APIs, network programming concepts, and Loadleveler batch scheduling system to create tools for filesystems administration and customer use.
Awards and Certifications
- Accepted into AWS Community Builders Program 2021
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate
Interests and Hobbies
- Former Board of Directors Central Vermont Chapter of Trout Unlimited
- Absentee member Code for America Brigade in Burlington Vermont
- Eagle Scout; fly fisherman and fly tier; avid stock investor; mediocre home cook